Due to the growth of our organisation we’re creating this new (ideally) full time role, we are open to some flexibility such as 9-3pm every day. You’ll be reporting to the CFO and will be a crucial part of our small finance team which helps to ensure the business is run well, completes all the necessary filings and provides information and analysis to the business to allow it to grow.
Finance Assistant (full time/part time) – Job Description
About Green Angel Syndicate
Green Angel Syndicate is the only angel investment syndicate in the UK specialising in the fight against Climate Change and Global Warming. With a rapidly-growing membership of more than 300 people, we are also one of the UK’s largest angel syndicates. GAS is operated by a team of around 17 people, and this is an exciting time for us. As well as increasing the number and size of investments our members make into companies fighting climate change, we also have a Climate Change Fund and have raised four rounds. This is allowing us to make a bigger impact, faster.
You’ll be reporting to the CFO and will be a crucial part of our small finance team which helps to ensure the business is run well, completes all the necessary filings and provides information and analysis to the business to allow it to grow. This role will undoubtedly develop and expand as we do. Initially tasks will include :
- Involved in the monthly, quarterly and daily invoicing processes, updating the processes for changes or enhancements
- Debt chasing and collecting outstanding customer invoices
- Suppliers – setting up payments and new supplier details as required
- Finance admin duties as required
- Monthly bank reconciliations
- Assistance with the auto enrolment pension scheme administration
- Help in the preparation of regular financial reports and returns (VAT, Companies House and other annual returns as appropriate). This may include FCA regulatory reporting.
- Expenses – administration, monthly checking, ensuring approval process adhered to and processing
- Raising monthly journals and assisting with the month end and year end accounts
- Preparation of monthly balance sheet reconciliations
- Maintain the asset register and prepare depreciation calculations
- Involvement in monthly management reports including the budgeting and forecasting processes
- Assist in the preparation of audit documentation
- In your application, you will be able to demonstrate your experience in and aptitude for each of the areas through your education, working experience, and/or voluntary activities.
- You will be determined to use your skills and background to help GAS and its portfolio companies to fight climate change. Ideally, you have knowledge of and interest in sustainability and climate change.
- You must be based in the UK with the required “right to work”. There may be a requirement for additional background checks in line with FCA requirements.
Skills and knowledge
- You will have excellent bookkeeping skills, comfortable completing journals for accruals, prepayments etc. Prior knowledge of VAT returns and other HMRC reports would be great too.
- Experience of the Xero accounting package is desirable
- You will be IT literate with great spreadsheet skills including formulae, lookups, pivot tables
- You have great written and verbal communication skills. You have fluent written English.
- You can use your initiative, suggest changes, and be able to make decisions confidently.
- You have good common sense, and can identify when ‘something isn’t right’ or needs changing to be done another way.
- You’re comfortable reporting on progress and meeting deadlines.
- You are organised, self-motivated and self-directed with a can-do attitude. (We all work from home, and we work hard to maintain a fun and supportive culture, despite being physically apart.)
Technical & qualifications
- Some form of accountancy training or qualifications is desirable
- We believe in recruiting the best people. Work from where you are, we all work remotely, and we use technology to keep in contact. Sometimes it would be good to get together, so you should live within 1.5 hours of central London.
Green Angel Syndicate is dedicated to encouraging a supportive and inclusive culture amongst our own workforce, our members, and the workforces of our portfolio companies. It is within our interest to promote diversity and eliminate discrimination in the workforce, as this is good practice and is fundamental to our core values.
Our aim is to ensure that all members, employees and job applicants are given equal opportunity. All employees, members and investors will be respected and valued.
- This is a permanent contract with salary in the range of £22,000 to £24,000 FTE depending on experience, plus pension (3% employer contribution, 5% employee).
- You’ll get 25 days holiday per year, plus all bank holidays, plus your birthday, prorated if not full time.
- We offer paid ‘journey days’ to staff who travel on holiday by train, coach or boat instead of flying.
- There will be opportunities for long-term career growth as GAS continues to scale, and expand its operations into areas such as Fund management, company incubation, and academic partnerships.
- Your voice counts. We employ smart people, and we listen to their opinions. You’ll play an active part in our organisation, and in our plans for the future.
Please send a cover letter (max 1 page) and CV (max 2 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Finance Assistant role – your name” in the subject box.
Within your application cover letter please specify how you meet the requirements of the role set out above, and confirm the following additional points:
- Your available start date
- Understanding of the salary bracket
- Desirable hours (our standard full time hours are 9.00-5.30 Monday-Friday)
We cannot consider applications without a cover letter, and those which do not confirm the points above.
As part of our diversity and inclusion commitment we are collecting data on the diversity of applications we receive for this role. Providing this data is not mandatory, but if you are willing please tell us your gender, your ethnicity and whether you live with a disability as part of this application.
Application deadline: Friday 10th February 2023. Do not wait to apply until the deadline as we are keen to fill this role, please apply as soon as you can.
Remote first round interviews are expected to take place in February 2023, if not before.