Green Angel Syndicate (GAS) is one of the largest angel syndicates in the UK, and is the reference investor for early stage UK climate innovation. We identify, invest in, and help the growth of companies which have specialist technology or processes which can help limit or reduce the world’s carbon emissions. GAS has a membership of around 350 people, and 35 portfolio companies. GAS is operated by a team of 18 people, and this is an exciting time for us. As well as increasing the number and size of investments our members make into companies fighting climate change, we have been awarded substantial government funding to allow us to make a bigger impact, faster.
All GAS team members work from home – we have no office. Some of our team who are based around London meet up for in-person working fortnightly, and we get all staff together twice a year for a couple of days. This role is mostly working from home, with occasional travel to locations in the UK. Many of our industry or member events are London-based, and it would be an advantage if you lived within an hour of London.
We are recruiting to find a replacement for the current holder of this role, who is moving away from the UK. We have a senior management team (Steering Group) of 6 people. Primarily, your role will be to support the Steering Group members, to allow them to be as productive as possible in driving the business strategy and growth. There will also be opportunities to engage with, and assist, many members of the GAS team.
For example, tasks will include:
- Working with the Steering Group and Board
- Taking minutes at all key meetings – Steering Group, Board, Investment Committee, Compliance Committee, etc.
- Producing and updating action lists for those meetings
- Coordinating calendars and appointments for the Steering Group/Board
- Producing and improving presentations for Steering Group (e.g. taking an existing presentation and tailoring for an audience of startup company CEOs)
- Coordinating performance appraisals for team members
- Preparing Steering Group and Board packs, including ensuring team members’ regular meeting reports/submissions are on time
- Working with the Membership Manager
- Finding and booking locations for member meetings, including pitch events
- Taking notes/minutes during group member meetings, and collating actions/feedback
- Answering Member questions relating to their investments and membership
- Updating relevant areas of our public and member-only websites
- Attending in-person events such as our pitch events, or members’ events, typically in London, to help with logistics and to aid with smooth running
- Working with our Deal Flow team
- Ensuring signatures and payment for completed deals
- Improving processes to aid deal completion
- Signing NDAs with companies
- Managing e-signing of documents such as partnership agreements, etc
- Central company and coordination
- Booking travel/accommodation/meetings for staff including forward planning of meetings and dates
- Planning and coordinating online events and workshops for our members and staff team
- Setting up systems and processes for routine/regular tasks, to improve efficiency
- Coordinating and improving our diversity and inclusion initiatives
- Other ad hoc tasks or projects, throughout the business
It is important to note that the above list is the starting point for learning and growth within GAS, and there will be many opportunities to engage with different parts of the business. Entrepreneurial and dynamic people will be able to make this role their own, to a certain extent, and contribute widely across our team.
- In your application, you will be able to demonstrate your experience in and aptitude for each of the areas in which you’ll be operating, through your education, working experience, and/or voluntary activities.
- You will be determined to use your skills and background to help GAS to fight climate change. You may have knowledge of and interest in sustainability and climate change.
- You have excellent writing and communication skills. You have fluent written English.
- You have exceptional attention to detail.
- You have fast, accurate typing skills, and an ability to capture the substantive content of meetings and summarise those in clear, concise minutes.
- You have the confidence to engage with our team, external partners, our High Net-Worth members, and our partner companies.
- You can use your initiative to suggest changes, and to make decisions confidently.
- You have good common sense, and can identify when ‘something isn’t right’.
- You’re comfortable reporting on progress and meeting deadlines.
- You are organised, self-motivated and self-directed. (We have always been a remote organisation, and we work hard to maintain a fun and supportive culture, despite being physically apart).
- You are a trustworthy person who is easily able to keep sensitive information confidential or compartmentalised to the appropriate audience.
Green Angel Syndicate is dedicated to encouraging a supportive and inclusive culture amongst our own workforce, our members, and the workforces of our portfolio companies. It is within our interest to promote diversity and eliminate discrimination in the workforce, as this is good practice and is fundamental to our core values.
Our aim is to ensure that all members, employees and job applicants are given equal opportunities. All employees, members and investors will be respected and valued.
- Green Angel Syndicate operates in one of the most exciting and dynamic sectors in the modern economy: the intersection of climate change and technological innovation.
- This is a permanent contract with salary in the range of £23,000 to £25,000 depending on experience, plus pension (3% employer contribution, 5% employee).
- We pay a small monthly working-from home allowance, tax free in line with HMRC guidance.
- You’ll get 25 days holiday per year, plus all bank holidays, and your birthday. Holiday days increase with length of service.
- We offer paid ‘journey days’ to staff who travel on holiday by train, coach or boat instead of flying.
- We operate a long-term incentive scheme.
- We’ll offer you training in the work you’ll be asked to do for us (to develop your skills and capabilities).
- There will be many opportunities for long-term career growth as GAS continues to scale, and expand its operations into areas, such as Fund management.
- Your voice counts. We employ smart people, and we listen to their opinions. You’ll play an active part in our organisation, and in our plans for the future.
- Work from where you are. We all work remotely, and we use technology to keep in contact. This role will need some time spent in London, for our members’ and industry events. Our team members based around London tend to get together approximately each fortnight, when we rent some WeWork space.
Please send a cover letter (max 1 page) and CV (max 2 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Executive Assistant role – your name” in the subject box.
Within your application cover letter please specify how you meet the requirements of the role set out above, and confirm the following additional points:
- Your available start date
- Understanding of the salary bracket
We cannot consider applications without a cover letter, and those which do not confirm the points above. As part of our diversity and inclusion commitment we are collecting data on the diversity of applications we receive for this role. Providing this data is not mandatory, but if you are willing please tell us your gender, your ethnicity and whether you live with a disability as part of this application.
Application deadline: 10th April 2023. We may close applications early if the right candidate is found.
Remote first round interviews are expected to take place from 11th April 2023.