Green Innovation Revolution: Unleashing Economic Growth Through Early-Stage Investments in Climate Solutions Across Diverse Sectors
This means that greater and greater returns will be generated by the sectors this favours. As the sums invested in these sectors will increase, so too will the revenues and profits of companies in the sectors.
This starts with the early stage opportunities, and their growth potential, because the reality of the need can only be met by innovation. Remember the key word: “new.” We are doing something in our economic life which has never been done before. We have a desperate need for multiple new technologies on a scale which has never been seen before.
These cover every aspect of our economic life, each of which has to transition from a hydro-carbon dependence to a non hydro-carbon dependence. We are looking at companies developing innovations requiring funding on a daily basis, each of which can contribute to the changes in our daily lives required to provide us with what we need, while removing the harmful carbon emissions causing the climate to change so dramatically. I started a list of the most notable sectors in which Green Angel Ventures has and is investing, but space does not allow a complete account of our growing contribution:
- Domestic heat: We are searching for companies innovating to enable a transition from gas boilers as a matter of urgency. We have energy efficiency companies, working in the specially harmful social housing sectors, led by AirEx and its pioneering smart ventilation bricks – conceptually simple but practically transformative – but we need so much more.
- Aviation: We have invested in satellite data, and looked at drone companies, attempting to replace aviation practices, but these have been disappointing in their impact to date. We believe innovation is proceeding within the aviation industry itself, but not fast enough. We would like to see more innovation, from more agile companies, accelerating the trend to decarbonise air travel and transport.
- Concrete: The award-winning concrete replacement material developed by Low Carbon Materials is a first-class example of the innovations Green Angel Ventures seeks for investment. Our involvement with LCM is especially gratifying.
- Eco-systems. We cannot beat climate change without ecosystem regeneration. But this is the hardest sector to engage in commercial enterprise, because nature has no tradeable value. Green Angel Ventures has maintained its investment in NatureMetrics as it has grown, delivering the most effective natural monitoring system for animal and plant life (biodiversity) by means of ground-breaking DNA data gathering and analysis. It has made other investments in what are now called Nature-based Solutions, but again, we need more.
- Food & Agriculture: This is one of the most important sectors, because its impact on ecosystems means its influence extends much beyond the issue of food production itself. We are seeing a lot of good innovation here, and supporting as many as we can, such as Albotherm (maximising Greenhouse crop yields, minimising energy costs, by means of glass coating innovation) and Glaia (maximising natural crop yields, minimising environmental impact, through the application of nanotechnology to photosynthesis).
- Construction: This is a very important sector for Green Angel Ventures, because it is crucial for the reduction of carbon emissions. Our investments include Qualis Flow (reducing construction waste) and Mykor (pioneering carbon negative construction materials). This sector is well represented in the deal flow we are seeing.
- Automotive: Automotive is also well represented in our deal flow. We expect Green Angel Ventures to make many more investments in the sector. 3ti is our most recent, a delightful design for integrating solar powered charge points into car parks.
Try making your own list of our sector needs. In each field you care to mention, and many you will not think of; in every area under threat from hazards of fire, water and natural disaster; in the sourcing of every resource we need for life; innovation is required sufficient to create a revolution.
But we can do this. We created Green Angel Ventures to enable it, and with the gathering pace and scale of investments in our portfolio, we are seeing the revolution in technology innovation coming to life. We can do it collectively, all working together.
“He began by reflecting on the pace of technological change and its implications for industry. Drawing his remarks towards their conclusion, he warned his audience that if the country was to prosper, a “new Britain” would need to be forged in the “white heat” of this scientific revolution” (Matthew Francis, University of Birmingham).
Who was he? Not Rishi Sunak, nor Boris Johnson. Not James Dyson or Richard Branson. It was Harold Wilson, sixty years ago, in 1963, opening the first Labour Party Conference in Scarborough since he became Prime Minister.
The “white heat” of revolution is what we need now. We have been there before, and that’s why we know we can do it now.
Written by Nick Lyth, 12th January 2024.
Featured Image by Karsten Würth on Unsplash.